Thank you for your interest in working with us.
Product Safety Manager
Product Safety Team, Market Framework Division
We are excited to establish a ComReg Product Safety team and are seeking to recruit a Product Safety Manager who shares our enthusiasm and is eager to use their experience, competence and skill to design the strategic plan and lead its delivery. We look forward to finding someone who will relish the challenge of setting the strategic direction. We will offer them the opportunity to establish frameworks, put the team together and lead the delivery of the diverse objectives of this role.
We are the statutory body responsible for regulating electronic communications, postal and premium rate services in Ireland. We are a professional, multi-disciplinary organisation, operating in a dynamic telecommunications environment that is constantly evolving. Our Mission – at the heart of everything we do – is to facilitate the development of a competitive communications sector in Ireland that attracts investment, encourages innovation and empowers consumers to choose and use communications services with confidence.
Market Framework is the ComReg division responsible for, among other things, managing Ireland’s radio spectrum. This is a valuable and finite natural resource that is essential to the delivery of many important services to many different users.
ComReg is also the designated national market surveillance authority (“MSA”) for the EMC and RE Regulations. These regulations are particularly relevant to the role we are seeking to fill and for this reason are described hereunder:
At a high level, the EMC Regulations ensures that electrical and electronic equipment does not generate, or is not affected by, electromagnetic disturbance by:
- limiting electromagnetic emissions from equipment (apparatus and fixed installations) in order to ensure that, when used as intended, such equipment does not disturb radio and telecommunication, as well as other equipment; and
- governing the immunity of such equipment to interference and seeking to ensure that this equipment is not disturbed by radio emissions, when used as intended.
At a high level, Radio Equipment Regulations seek to ensure compliance of radio equipment with several essential requirements to ensure:
- a high level of protection of health and safety of persons and domestic animals, and the protection of property (by way of incorporating the essential requirements of the European Union (Low Voltage Electrical Equipment) Regulations 2016 (S.I. No. 345 of 2016) and applying them to radio equipment);
- an adequate level of electromagnetic compatibility (by way of incorporating the essential requirements of the EMC Regulations and applying them to radio equipment);
- effective and efficient use of radio spectrum; and
- where necessary, a high level of protection of other public interests, and to guarantee fair competition on the Union market.
Market surveillance includes actions by competent authorities such as product withdrawals, product recalls and the application of sanctions to stop the circulation of non-compliant products and/or bring them into compliance.
The successful candidate will establish the strategy, recruit and lead ComReg’s new, dedicated Product Safety team within the Market Framework Division. This will be a market surveillance, product compliance and enforcement unit with the legal and technical capability to:
- develop and drive a comprehensive risk-based product safety and national market surveillance strategy consistent with the relevant legislation;
- monitor and control the entry of relevant products into the State through engagement with relevant economic operators (e.g. manufacturers, importers, distributors and retailers) and relevant State authorities (e.g. Customs authorities, An Post etc.);
- carry out, or commission the carrying out of, product evaluations and risk assessments; and
- where appropriate, engage with the relevant economic operator/s (e.g. manufacturers, importers, distributors, retailers) to bring about timely and effective compliance, such as requiring corrective action, product withdrawals or product recalls etc.
Reporting to the Senior Manager – Spectrum Operations, the Product Safety Manager will be responsible for the following areas and tasks;
- establishing, developing and leading a multi-disciplinary team with a diverse range of technical (e.g. electrical engineering, wireless engineering, product safety), and regulatory / legal (e.g. investigative/compliance) expertise and skills;
- conceiving, advancing and implementing comprehensive procedures and protocols to ensure an effective, consistent and timely approach to product safety through market surveillance and compliance activities, including standard operating procedures and operating plans;
- developing and maintaining relationships with relevant stakeholders such as the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) and other relevant authorities in Ireland and other Member States, including customs authorities, economic operators and industry;
- investigating, and supervising investigations of, cases and following up, as appropriate, with economic operators and consumers to ensure that any actual or potential breaches are identified and appropriately addressed, up to including appropriate enforcement action;
- building effective stakeholder engagement and information strategies, including an appropriate focus on the obligations on economic operators, the reporting of potential breaches and remediating strategies such as product recall;
- managing consultants, advisors and other resources to deliver projects; and
- representing ComReg at national and international fora (e.g. relevant EU meetings).
Qualifications and Experience
- Third level qualification in regulation, law, compliance, engineering or another relevant area/s;
- At least 3 years’ demonstrable experience in a regulatory, compliance and/or enforcement area;
- A proven track record in leading people and managing the delivery of complex projects;
- Demonstrated ability to quickly master wide-ranging and complex briefs, assimilate large volumes of information and arrive at clear, evidence-based proposed decisions;
- Experience of engaging and managing external advisors and other resources to deliver projects in a timely and cost-effective manner;
- Knowledge of current and emerging radio communication technologies;
- Excellent communication, networking and influencing skills, honed through previous career experiences.
- Qualification in law;
- Preparation and progression of formal enforcement actions and legal cases for prosecution in the Courts;
- Experience of risk management and risk-based enforcement;
- Familiarity with national and EU institutions, regulatory environment and/ or experience in the application of EU directives and regulations; and
- Project management experience.
Core Competencies & Skills for the Role
In addition to your technical qualifications and experience, the successful candidate will bring professional competencies and skills in the following core areas:
- Technical Knowledge & Continuous Improvement – Possesses a command over the technical and professional skills for a particular discipline. Keeps an open mind. Demonstrates commitment to continuous improvement.
- Decision Making & Judgement Effectively builds evidence base to support the decision-making process. Assesses alternative options. Uses judgement to adapt to specific and challenging requirements of the organisation.
- Communicating & Influencing Communicates clearly, confidently and respectfully. Engages, persuades and convinces others to follow a particular course of action. Ensures all relevant parties are appropriately updated and notified.
- Teamwork Promotes and enhances team performance through working collaboratively and in cooperation with others to achieve goals. Interacts in a manner that builds respect and fosters trust.
- Planning and Organising Establishes and monitors priorities, systematically differentiating between urgent, important and unimportant tasks. Plans and manages activities to consistently deliver results. Meets objectives within agreed predetermined time frames and deals with urgent operational situations expeditiously.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking Objectively analyses and evaluates information in order to identify patterns between situations that are not obviously related. Develops and clearly articulates solutions to complex problems.
This role presents a wonderful opportunity for a person with strong experience, strategic vision and a pro-active approach to set the foundations and build this area in accordance with their vision. If you meet the criteria and are interested in applying, we would love to hear from you.
We offer an attractive package:
- Salary €73,040.66 to €91,314.84 * (Pay increases will be awarded annually subject to satisfactory performance and to the terms of the Haddington Road Agreement)
- Dublin city centre location on Luas line
- 28 days Annual Leave per year
- Further Education and Training Opportunities
- Attractive pension scheme
- Travel tax saver scheme, Access to Cycle to Work Scheme
- Access to Employee Assistance Programme
*(entry will be at the minimum point and the rate of remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government pay policy.)
How to Apply
Please send a comprehensive CV together with a one page cover letter – telling us what you can bring to the role – to our Careers team at email@example.com by 6 p.m. on Wednesday 30th September 2020.
Check out the Recruitment section of our Careers website if you have any questions or need further information about the role or the recruitment process – /about/careers/recruitment-faq/
You can sign up for e-alerts for new roles here.