Please enter your email address below. If there are particular publication types or categories that you want to receive alerts for, please select them from the lists. If you do not select anything you will receive alerts for all publications.

Hold CTRL to select more than one
Back
Nuacht Tionsclaíochta

Electronic Communications Sector Quarterly Report for Q2 2020

ComReg has today released its Quarterly Key Data Report on the Electronic Communications market for the period (1 April to 30 June), Q2 2020.

Fixed broadband subscriptions increased to 1.49 million, a 1.2% increase this quarter and an increase of 3.4% compared to Q2 2019. Of these, over 201k were fibre-to the-premises (FTTP) subscriptions representing 13.5% of total fixed broadband subscriptions in Q2 2020, up from 8.8% in Q2 2019.

According to Eurostat, in 2019 Ireland’s household penetration rate (including fixed and mobile broadband) at 90% is slightly higher than the EU average of 89%.

On a monthly basis an average fixed residential broadband subscriber used 326.7 GB of data, an increase of 73.6% since Q2 2019.

In Q2 2020, approximately 79.2% of broadband subscribers had purchased broadband with speeds equal to or greater than 30Mbps. Of all fixed broadband subscriptions 39.4% of subscribers purchased broadband speeds equal to or greater than 100Mbps.

 

Total voice traffic minutes increased by 12.6% this quarter and were 19.1% higher than in Q2 2019. Mobile minutes form the majority of voice minutes at 83.8%, with fixed minutes representing the remaining 16.2%.  Mobile voice minutes increased by 12.6% this quarter, while fixed voice minutes increased by 12.7%.

 

On a monthly basis an average mobile voice subscriber used 245.7 minutes (17.9% annual increase), sent 42 texts (-32.5% annual decrease) and used 9.2GB of data (+33.7% annual increase).

 

Of all mobile subscriptions, 63.4% were actively using 4G networks in Q2 2020, up from 57.5% in Q2 2019. Total mobile subscriptions (including mobile broadband and machine-to-machine(M2M)) increased to 6.74 million in Q2 2020 – driven by a rise in post pay subscriptions which now represent 65% of all mobile subscriptions.

 

M2M subscriptions increased to 1.35 million, a 21.7% annual increase and made up 20.1% of all mobile subscriptions in Q2 2020.

 

The Quarterly Key Data Report for Q2 2020 is available here: comreg.ie/publications. The data portal which contains the full set of data and associated charts is available on /industry/electronic-communications/data-portal/