ComReg issues Electronic Communications Sector Quarterly Report for Q4 2020
ComReg today released its Quarterly Key Data Report on the Electronic Communications market for the period (1 October to 31 December), Q4 2020.
Some of the key findings are:
- Fixed broadband subscriptions increased to 1.51 million, a 0.6% increase this quarter and an increase of 3.7% compared to Q4 2019. Of these, over 249k were fibre-to the-premises (FTTP) subscriptions representing 16.4% of total fixed broadband subscriptions in Q4 2020, up from 11.1% in Q4 2019.
- According to Eurostat, Ireland’s household broadband penetration rate (including fixed and mobile broadband) in 2019 was at 90%, which is slightly higher than the EU average of 89%.
- On a monthly basis an average fixed residential broadband subscriber used 360.7 GB of data, an increase of 65.4% since Q4 2019.
- In Q4 2020, approximately 81.6% of broadband subscribers had purchased broadband with speeds equal to or greater than 30Mbps. Of all fixed broadband subscriptions 42.5% of subscribers purchased broadband speeds equal to or greater than 100Mbps.
- Total voice traffic minutes increased by 2.3% this quarter, being 9.9% higher than in Q4 2019. Mobile minutes form the majority of voice minutes at 84.2%, with fixed minutes representing the remaining 15.8%. Mobile voice minutes increased by 1.2% this quarter, while fixed voice minutes increased by 2.3%.
- On a monthly basis an average mobile voice subscriber used 222.2 minutes (12.5% annual increase), sent 40 texts (-28.7% annual decrease) and used 10.2GB of data (+28.4% annual increase).
- Total mobile subscriptions (including mobile broadband and machine-to-machine (M2M)) increased to 7.13 million in Q4 2020 – driven by a rise in post pay voice and data subscriptions which now represent over 66% of all mobile subscriptions.
- M2M subscriptions increased to 1.57 million, a 30.5% annual increase and made up 22.1% of all mobile subscriptions in Q4 2020.