Home / News / Industry News / ComReg issues Electronic Communications Sector Quarterly Report for Q1 2022

Please enter your email address below. If there are particular publication types or categories that you want to receive alerts for, please select them from the lists. If you do not select anything you will receive alerts for all publications.

Hold CTRL to select more than one

ComReg issues Electronic Communications Sector Quarterly Report for Q1 2022

Infographic on quarterly key data report for Q1 2022

ComReg today released its Quarterly Key Data Report on the Electronic Communications market for the period (1 Jan to 31 March), Q1 2022.

Fixed broadband subscriber lines increased to 1.59 million, a 0.8% increase this quarter and an increase of 3.6% compared to Q1 2021. Of these, nearly 402k were fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) subscriber lines representing 25.3% of total fixed broadband subscriber lines in Q1 2022, up from 18.3% in Q1 2021.

According to Eurostat, Ireland’s household broadband penetration rate (including fixed and mobile broadband) in 2021 was at 93%, which is higher than the EU average of 90%.

On a monthly basis an average fixed residential broadband subscriber line used 366.2 GB of data, a decrease of 8.5% since Q1 2021.

In Q1 2022, approximately 51.7% of broadband subscriber lines had purchased broadband with speeds equal to or greater than 100Mbps, with 22.2% of all fixed broadband subscriber lines with purchased broadband speeds equal to or greater than 500Mbps.

Total voice traffic minutes decreased by 4.1% this quarter, being 5.7% lower than in Q1 2021. Mobile minutes form the majority of voice minutes at 87.9%, with fixed minutes representing the remaining 12.1%.  Mobile voice minutes decreased by 3.2% this quarter, while fixed voice minutes decreased by 0.6%.

On a monthly basis an average mobile voice subscriber used 204 minutes (-4.3% annual decrease) and sent 40 texts (6.1% annual increase).

Total mobile subscriptions (including mobile broadband and machine-to-machine (M2M)) increased to 8.1 million in Q1 2022 – driven by a rise in post pay subscriptions which now represent over 70% of all mobile subscriptions. Increases in M2M & MBB subscriptions also contributed. 5G subscribers totalled 539k in Q1.

M2M subscriptions increased to 2.35 million, a 44.1% annual increase and made up 29% of all mobile subscriptions in Q1 2022.

The full Quarterly Key Data Report for Q1 2022 is available here. The data portal which contains the full set of data and associated charts is available here.

Related News