ComReg issues Electronic Communications Sector Quarterly Report for Q2 2021
ComReg today released its Quarterly Key Data Report on the Electronic Communications market for the period (1 April to 30 June), Q2 2021.
Fixed broadband subscriptions increased to 1.55 million, a 0.8% increase this quarter and an increase of 4.0% compared to Q2 2020. Of these, over 308k were fibre-to the-premises (FTTP) subscriptions representing 19.9% of total fixed broadband subscriptions in Q2 2021, up from 13.5% in Q2 2020.
According to Eurostat, Ireland’s household broadband penetration rate (including fixed and mobile broadband) in 2020 was at 92%, which is higher than the EU average of 89%.
On a monthly basis an average fixed residential broadband subscriber used 343.9 GB of data, an increase of 9.7% since Q2 2020.
In Q2 2021, approximately 84% of broadband subscribers had purchased broadband with speeds equal to or greater than 30Mbps. Of all fixed broadband subscriptions 46.4% of subscribers purchased broadband speeds equal to or greater than 100Mbps.
Total voice traffic minutes increased by 3.4% this quarter, being 7.2% lower than in Q2 2020. Mobile minutes form the majority of voice minutes at 86.3%, with fixed minutes representing the remaining 13.7%. Mobile voice minutes increased by 7.1% this quarter but declined by 4.4% compared to Q2 2020. Fixed voice minutes decreased by 14.9% this quarter and 21.7% compared to Q2 2020
In Q2 2021 an average mobile voice subscriber used 226 minutes (5.9% quarterly increase / 8.3% annual decrease) and sent 44 texts (18% quarterly increase / 4.3% annual increase) and used 10.5GB of data (2.2% quarterly decrease / 15% annual increase).
Total mobile subscriptions (including mobile broadband and machine-to-machine (M2M)) increased to 7.40 million in Q2 2021 – driven by a rise in post pay voice and data and M2M subscriptions which now represent over 68% of all mobile subscriptions and M2M subscriptions.
M2M subscriptions increased to 1.79 million, a 32.5% annual increase and made up 24.2% of all mobile subscriptions in Q2 2021.