The Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) today released its Quarterly Key Data Report on the Electronic Communications market for the period (1 April to 30 June), Q2 2023.
Fixed broadband subscriber lines increased to 1.62 million, a 0.3% increase this quarter and an increase of 1.7% compared to Q2 2022. Of these, 576,856 were fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) subscriber lines representing 35.6% of total fixed broadband subscriber lines in Q2 2023, up from 27% in Q2 2022. FTTP is now the most commonly purchased broadband technology in Ireland.
On a monthly basis an average residential fixed broadband subscriber line used 384.7 GB of data, an increase of 11.7% since Q2 2022. In Q2 2023, approximately 37% of fixed broadband subscriber lines had purchased broadband with speeds equal to or greater than 500Mbps, with 9.5% purchasing broadband speeds equal to or greater than 1Gbps. Of the 576,856 FTTP subscriber lines, 75.7% have broadband speeds equal to or greater than 500 Mbps.
Total voice traffic minutes decreased by 5.7% this quarter, being 24.3% lower than in Q2 2022. Mobile minutes form the majority of voice minutes at 88.5%, with fixed minutes representing the remaining 11.5%. On a monthly basis an average mobile voice subscriber used 145 minutes (26.6% annual decrease), sent 31 texts (14.4% annual decrease) and used 13.6GB of data (8.6% annual increase).
Total mobile subscriptions (including mobile broadband and machine-to-machine (M2M)) increased to 9.2 million in Q2 2023 – driven by a rise in post pay subscriptions which now represent 74% of all mobile subscriptions. 5G subscribers increased to 1.28 million in Q2 2023, an increase of 80% since Q2 2022. M2M subscriptions increased to 3.2 million, a 30% annual increase and made up 35% of all mobile subscriptions in Q2 2023.
Please find the full report here QuarterlyReportQ22023