Home / News / Industry News / ComReg issues Electronic Communications Sector Quarterly Report for Q3 2023

Please enter your email address below. If there are particular publication types or categories that you want to receive alerts for, please select them from the lists. If you do not select anything you will receive alerts for all publications.

Hold CTRL to select more than one

ComReg issues Electronic Communications Sector Quarterly Report for Q3 2023

The Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) today released its Quarterly Key Data Report on the Electronic Communications market for the period (1 July to 30 September), Q3 2023.

Fixed broadband subscriber lines increased to 1.64 million, a 1.6% increase this quarter and an increase of 2.8% compared to Q3 2022. Of these, nearly 620,000 were fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) subscriber lines representing 37.6% of total fixed broadband subscriber lines in Q3 2023, up from 28.9% in Q3 2022. FTTP is the most commonly purchased broadband technology in Ireland.

On a monthly basis an average residential fixed broadband subscriber line used 403.9 GB of data, an increase of 9.7% since Q3 2022.

In Q3 2023, approximately 40% of fixed broadband subscriber lines had purchased broadband with speeds equal to or greater than 500Mbps, with 10.2% purchasing broadband speeds equal to or greater than 1Gbps. Of the 619,968 FTTP subscriber lines, almost 80% have broadband speeds equal to or greater than 500 Mbps.

Total voice traffic minutes decreased by 3.7% this quarter, being 25% lower than in Q3 2022. Mobile minutes form the majority of voice minutes at nearly 89%, with fixed minutes representing the remaining 11%.

On a monthly basis an average mobile voice subscriber used 138 minutes (4.8% annual decrease), sent 30 texts (20.1% annual decrease), and used 13.9GB of data (5.9% annual increase).

Total mobile subscriptions (including mobile broadband and machine-to-machine (M2M)) increased to 9.5 million in Q3 2023 – driven by a rise in post pay subscriptions which now represent 74% of all mobile subscriptions. 5G subscribers increased to 1.4 million in Q3 2023, an increase of 70% since Q3 2022.

M2M subscriptions increased to 3.4 million, a 28% annual increase and made up 36% of all mobile subscriptions in Q3 2023.

The Quarterly Key Data Report for Q3 2023 is available on the ComReg website www.comreg.ie/publications. The data portal which contains the full set of data and associated charts is available on https://www.comreg.ie/industry/electronic-communications/data-portal/

This press release is also available as Gaeilge.

Related News