Please enter your email address below. If there are particular publication types or categories that you want to receive alerts for, please select them from the lists. If you do not select anything you will receive alerts for all publications.

Hold CTRL to select more than one
Industry News

ComReg publishes Electronic Communications Sector Quarterly Report for Q1 2020


ComReg has today published its Quarterly Key Data Report for the period (1 January 2020 to 31 March 2020) Q1 2020.

Fixed broadband subscriptions increased to 1.477 million, a 1% increase this quarter and an increase of 2.5% compared to Q1 2019. Of these, just over 180k were fibre-to the-premises (FTTP) subscriptions representing 12.2% of total fixed broadband subscriptions in Q1 2020, up from 7.6% in Q1 2019.

According to Eurostat, in 2019 Ireland’s household penetration rate (including fixed and mobile broadband) at 90% is slightly higher than the EU average of 89%.

On a monthly basis an average fixed residential broadband subscriber used 275.5 GB of data, an increase of 44.6% since Q1 2019.

In Q1 2020, approximately 79.6% of broadband subscribers had purchased broadband with speeds equal to or greater than 30Mbps. Of all fixed broadband subscriptions 37.9% of subscribers purchased broadband speeds equal to or greater than 100Mbps.

Total voice traffic minutes increased by 9.3% this quarter and were 6.1% higher than in Q1 2019. Mobile minutes form the majority of voice minutes at 83.1%, with fixed minutes representing the remaining 16.9%.  Mobile voice minutes increased by 8.5%this quarter, while fixed voice minutes increased by 13.8%.

On a monthly basis an average mobile voice subscriber used 216 minutes (4% annual increase), sent 54 texts (-16.4% annual decrease) and used 9.4GB of data (+40.9% annual increase).

Of all mobile subscriptions, 59.6% were actively using 4G networks in Q1 2020, up from 57.3% in Q1 2019. Total mobile subscriptions (including mobile broadband and machine-to-machine(M2M)) increased to 6.74 million in Q1 2020 – driven by a rise in post pay subscriptions which now represent 63.4% of all mobile subscriptions.

M2M subscriptions increased to 1,295,598, a 22.3% annual increase and made up 19.2% of all mobile subscriptions in Q1 2020.

The full Quarterly Key Data Report for Q1 2020 is available here. The data portal which contains the full set of data and associated charts is available on the ComReg Data Portal.