Home / News / Industry News / ComReg issues Electronic Communications Sector Quarterly Report for Q3 2020

Please enter your email address below. If there are particular publication types or categories that you want to receive alerts for, please select them from the lists. If you do not select anything you will receive alerts for all publications.

Hold CTRL to select more than one

ComReg issues Electronic Communications Sector Quarterly Report for Q3 2020

ComReg has today released its Quarterly Key Data Report on the Electronic Communications market for the period of Q3 2020.

The main trends are:

  • Fixed broadband subscriptions increased to 1.5 million, a 0.8% increase this quarter and an increase of 3.6% compared to Q3 2019. Of these, over 223k were fibre-to the-premises (FTTP) subscriptions representing 14.8% of total fixed broadband subscriptions in Q3 2020, up from 9.9% in Q3 2019.
  • According to Eurostat, in 2019 Ireland’s household penetration rate (including fixed and mobile broadband) at 90% is slightly higher than the EU average of 89%.
  • On a monthly basis an average fixed residential broadband subscriber used 315.9 GB of data, an increase of 60.4% since Q3 2019.
  • In Q3 2020, approximately 80.4% of broadband subscribers had purchased broadband with speeds equal to or greater than 30Mbps. Of all fixed broadband subscriptions 40.8% of subscribers purchased broadband speeds equal to or greater than 100Mbps.
  • Total voice traffic minutes decreased by 11.9% this quarter while increasing 2.8% higher than in Q3 2019. Mobile minutes form most voice minutes at 84.4%, with fixed minutes representing the remaining 15.6%.  Mobile voice minutes decreased by 7.9% this quarter, while fixed voice minutes decreased by 11.9%.
  • On a monthly basis an average mobile voice subscriber used 221.7 minutes (9.6% annual increase), sent 44 texts (-26.1% annual decrease) and used 10.9GB of data (+46.6% annual increase).
  • Total mobile subscriptions (including mobile broadband and machine-to-machine (M2M)) increased to 6.96 million in Q3 2020 – driven by a rise in post pay subscriptions which now represent over 65% of all mobile subscriptions.
  • M2M subscriptions increased to 1.45 million, a 26.3% annual increase and made up 20.9% of all mobile subscriptions in Q3 2020.


The Quarterly Key Data Report for Q3 2020 is available in the Publications Section. The full set of data and associated charts is available on the ComReg Data Portal.

Related News