During the second quarter of 2023 (April to June), ComReg’s consumer news and publications included the following:
We informed consumers about
- our stand at The 50 Plus Show in the RDS, Dublin;
- tests on a new Emergency Alert system in the UK if mobile phone customers near border areas roamed into a UK mobile network while tests were underway.
We advised consumers to
- be vigilant and wary of an increase in scam text messages being sent to consumers;
- visit our Service Checker tool if unsure about a charge for a call or text which might be a Premium Rate Service (PRS).
In terms of research and reports we
- published Q1 Consumer Care Statistics with details of issues raised by consumers who contacted ComReg’s Consumer Care team from 1 January to 31 March 2023;
- extended the deadline for submissions to the consultation on the implementation of a Customer Charter and reminded consumers when that deadline was approaching;
- Launched a consultation on combatting scam calls and texts.
Our compliance work resulted in
- a District Court prosecution against SKY for breaches of the porting regulations;
- Meteor refunding 55,000 customers for certain data charges;
- Eircom refunding customers and paying a penalty for overcharging;
- Sky paying €54,000 for failing to put required information on bills.