Market Framework – Director: George Merrigan, BA (Mgmt), MSc (Mgmt)
Market Framework is responsible for the following key areas:
- Spectrum: the management of Ireland’s radio spectrum, over which all wireless communications (such as mobile phones, radars, radios, televisions, connected devices, etc.) take place. The management of Ireland’s radio spectrum includes
- the allocation and assignment of radio spectrum;
- maintaining the integrity of Ireland’s radio spectrum by monitoring, compliance and enforcement activities;
- the promotion of Ireland as an ideal location for spectrum development using Test and Trial Ireland; and
- Day-to-day licensing – issuing approximately 3,500 new Wireless Telegraphy licences annually to various operators, public bodies, private companies and individuals.
- International: Market Framework is responsible for representing ComReg at international fora in respect of spectrum management and numbering, such as the CEPT, RSPG, BEREC and the ITU.
- Numbering: the management of Ireland’s National Numbering Scheme, to conserve this finite national resource, while ensuring that there is always an adequate supply of numbers to support the demands of existing and new service providers;
- Network Incident Reporting: managing reporting from operators on network failures and reporting on severe incidents to DCCAE and the European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA);